Leaside Tennis Club is a very active community tennis club operating in the popular Leaside area of Toronto. Trace Manes Park, between Rumsey Road and McRae Drive.
In 1944, when Millwood Park, [now Trace Manes] was only a field choked with weeds and covered with rocks, a fortyish “go-getter” took his racquet out of the moth balls and taught a group of youngsters the fundamentals of the game of tennis. This man, Matt Sayliss, along with neighbours Norm Lamport, Al Ogg and Norm Ramsey laid out two tennis courts, on the original mother earth, where our current courts 3,4,5 and 6 are.
The Leaside Tennis Club was founded in 1948 and was granted a charter under the Province of Ontario Corporations Act on September 11, 1968. As set out in the Charter, its objectives are “to operate a tennis club and to engage in all manner of activities which will encourage, foster and promote the game of tennis.”
The Club leases the Clubhouse at Trace Manes Park from April 1st through October 31st from the City of Toronto. The facilities include a lounge and kitchen. Men’s and ladies’ washrooms are also located within the building. The six courts are floodlit for evening play and feature “Deco Turf” surface. The polyurethane compound provides a true playing surface, which is easy on tennis balls, shoes and limbs. All courts were resurfaced in 2018. Courts open for play as early in the year as weather permits; similarly, the nets stay up as long as possible. All nets on the courts and nylon sight screens on the fences are supplied by the Leaside Tennis Club.